Do you know what “DISPENSATION of Grace” meant to the Apostles?
To the Apostles, DISPENSATION OF GRACE did not mean Era of Grace or Age of Grace as many Dispensationalists have made it to mean nowadays. Dispensation in the Scriptures rightly means a GRACIOUSLY GIVEN RESPONSIBILITY, STEWARDSHIP OR WORK TO BE DONE. Dispensation is a prescription, a job or an ASSIGNMENT GIVEN TO BE CARRIED OUT by a dispenser towards others.
“Dispensation of Grace” simply meant “Graciously Given Assignment”. This meaning is very apparent from contextual use of DISPENSATION in Eph 3:2 and Col 1:25.
Ephesians 3:2 (KJV)
(2) If ye have heard of the DISPENSATION of the grace of God which is GIVEN me to you-ward:
Colossians 1:25 (KJV)
(25) Whereof I am made a minister, according to the DISPENSATION of God which is GIVEN to me for you, to fulfill the word of God;
Ephesians 3:2 (NET)
(2) if indeed you have heard of the STEWARDSHIP of God’s grace that was GIVEN to me for you,
Colossians 1:25 (NET
(25) I became a servant of the church according to the STEWARDSHIP from God — GIVEN to me for you — in order to complete the word of God,
Ephesians 3:2 (GNB)
(2) Surely you have heard that God in his grace has GIVEN me this WORK TO DO for your good.
Colossians 1:25 (GNB)
(25) And I have been made a servant of the church by God, who GAVE me this TASK TO PERFORM for your good. It is the task of fully proclaiming his message,
Ephesians 3:2 (ISV)
(2) Surely you have heard about the RESPONSIBILITY OF ADMINISTERING God’s grace that was GIVEN to me on your behalf,
Colossians 1:25 (ISV)
(25) I became its servant according to God’s COMMISSION that was GIVEN to me for you, so that I might fulfill the ministry of the word of God.