JESUS IS LORD.
GREAT IS THE LORD;
AND GREATLY TO BE PRAISED.
Go to the Comment bellow to read:
WOMEN MINISTRY IN THE CHURCH
1Cor 14:33b-40: AUTHORITY AND WOMEN MINISTRY IN THE CHURCH
In the apostolic Church as recorded in the Scriptures, though women ministered in several prominent roles as Deaconesses, Helps, Prophetesses, Theologians, Matrons, Financiers, and Hosts, they were neither ordained nor in anyway expected to be ordained as oversight Presbyters. Spiritual GIFTS are variously given to all males and females alike as ABILITY for ministry and ministrations among the saints. Apostolic and presbyterial OFFICES are reserved for a few as positions of AUTHORITY for oversight and presidency over the saints – all such ecclesiastical authorities in the Scriptures were held by males only. This divine wisdom and rule should not be challenged or changed but upheld.
The Apostle Paul admonished that it is disgraceful for women to ask contentious questions and argue with opinionated assertions during fellowship/service (1Co_14:33-35). Women should desist from issuing authoritative directives and instructions (1Co_14:34; 1Ti_2:12) and from raising argumentative contentions in the Church (1Co_14:35; 1Ti_2:11). Such personal assertiveness toward or over men in the congregation should be eschewed. St Paul’s ‘not to speak’ and ‘keep silence’ and ‘not exercise authority over men’ in the Church here (1Co_14:34; 1Ti_2:11-12) indicates that women should not be ordained into priestly overseer office nor assume presbyterial authority IN THE CHURCH. Therefore, this does not mean muteness or dumbness but ‘courteousness’, ‘submission’ and ‘obedience’; which equally applied to non-leading male members. Notice that this does NOT extend outside the Church.
Again, this could NOT have abrogated other utterance or spoken ministrations enjoined and permitted for women in other portions of Scripture such as:
(1) prophesying, praying, tongues-interpretation and even singing (in public before all) Luk_2:36-38; Act_21:9; 1Co_11:3-12; Eph_5:18-21; Exo_15:20-21; Jdg_4:4-9, and
(2) teaching and even questioning (before women in public but before men in private and at home Act_18:26; 1Co_14:35; Tit_2:3-4; Pro_31:1-2), and
(3) other spiritual ministrations and helps (Act_16:14-15; 1Ti_5:10).
(4) Also their ‘subjection to authority’ does not exclude official delegation (Rom_16:1-4).
One proviso is that such women should minister IN CHURCH with veils on their heads: not for submission to men or culture as is often mistakenly believed, but for dignity before the Church and for authority before the Angels (1Co_11:5-6, 1Co_11:10). Why the Angels? Angelic company is always in attendance with God at any true Church assembly where God is present (Heb_12:12-14; 1Ti_5:21). Angels are God’s liturgical (worship ministry or homage service) spirits (Heb_1:14).
(See http://www.scribd.com/doc/28479877/SHOULD-WOMEN-USE-WORSHIP-VEIL-IN-THE-CHURCH for more details on the Worship Veil).
In the secular society, OUTSIDE THE CHURCH, where the sacerdotal Priesthood and Presbyterate are not in charge, though women may be socially disadvantaged (1Pe_3:7), yet they are not forbidden from temporal prominence and authority over men. Like the men, they could come to ruling power by circumstance (Debora, Jdg_4:4-6; Jdg_5:6-9), by force (Athaliah, 2Kin 11; 2Chr 22-23), by political manoeuvre (Esther, Est_8:1-14), by popular acclaim and personal merit (Esther, Est_2:15-18), by prowess (Jael, Jdg_4:9; Jdg_4:17-22) or by royal birth. There were the Queen of Sheba (2Kin 10; 2Chr 9; Mat_12:42) and Candace the Queen of Ethiopia served by eunuchs (Act_8:27), who were well spoken of by the Scriptures. Priscilla (first female seminary theology professor) provided academy theological update training for Apollos outside the Church BUT REMAINED UNDER THE MINISTRY OF APOLLOS IN THE CHURCH (Act_18:24-28).
Christian women should therefore, contribute their spiritual gifts/abilities in Church and could be licensed, commissioned, elected, delegated, appointed, into various roles, responsibilities and ministries as applicable to all laymen who are equally Spirit-baptised INTO CHRIST (Joh_7:37-39; 1Co_12:12-14; Eph_2:19-22), but to operate with their veil of authority in Church (1Co_11:5-6; 1Co_11:10). However, they should NOT assert themselves over men or be ORDAINED into priestly authority or oversight presbyterate presidency over men in the Angelic Assembly of God’s Church (1Co_14:34-35; 1Ti_2:11-12; 1Ti_5:21; Heb_1:14; Heb_12:22-24). Amongst fellow women in the Church, amongst their children and dependants in their homes, and in socio-political circles outside the Church, Christian women could oversee and preside at any level? (Tit_2:3-4; Pro_31:1-2; Jdg_4:4-9).
In discussing the place of Women in the ministry of the Church, we must not muddle up:
Cultural and Scriptural basis,
Theological and Sociological reason,
Rights to Power and Call to Service,
Revelation and Protestation.
Such muddlings have produced a Church that is of the Gentiles but not of the Gospel of Christ and His Apostles.
THIS TRUTH FLOWS FROM THE INEXHUSTABLE SOURCE OF TRUTH(GOD).
PLEASE CLEARIFY, IS THE USE OF “ATTACHMENT” SINFUL?
The Scripture has no prescription for how to do and what to use for hair dressing.
But the Bible prefers long hair for women and short hair for men.
(14) Does not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man has long hair, it is a shame unto him?
(15) But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
(16) But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.
Otherwise shows lack of discernment of Christ’s Body (The Church), is contrary to apostolic church custom and ecclesiology, is spiritually disgraceful and indecent, and is improper and dangerous.
(1) Be followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
(2) Now I praise you, brethren, because you remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
(3) But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
(4) Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head.
(5) But every woman that prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head: for that is one and the same as if she were shaven.
(6) For if the woman is not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it is a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
(7) For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
Disregard for such worthy ordinances and decorum in the Church is detrimental to our spiritual and physical wellbeing.
(27) Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
(28) But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
(29) For he that eats and drinks unworthily, eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.
(30) For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
The Bible cautions against undue ostentatious attention to beautification of the hair instead of moral beauty.
(3) Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of braiding the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
(4) But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
The use of chemical or physical treatment, natural or synthetic material and artificial hair for hair beautification should be weighed on its cost (in time, money, morals) as well as its motive (decent management or depraved marketing of the hair).
Whatever the decent method or means of keeping the woman’s long hair good, she should never exhibit her hair-do when in Church but veil her head to have authority before the Angels.
“For this cause ought the woman to have authority on her head because of the angels.” (1Co 11:10)
Angels participate in and attend any true Church service where God is present in His majesty.
(22) But you are come unto mount Zion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
(23) To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, who are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
(24) And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaks better things than that of Abel.
(25) See that you refuse not him that speaks. For if they escaped not who refused him that spoke on earth, much more shall we not escape, if we turn away from him that speaks from heaven:
Godless exhibitionism provokes divine judgment.
(16) Moreover the LORD says, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with outstretched necks and wanton eyes, walking and tripping as they go, and making a jingling with their feet:
(17) Therefore the Lord will strike with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will uncover their secret parts.
(18) In that day the Lord will take away the finery of their jingling ornaments about their ankles, and their scarves, and their crescents,
(19) The pendants, and the bracelets, and the veils,
(20) The headdresses, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the perfume boxes, and the charms,
(21) The rings, and nose rings,
(22) The festal robes, and the mantles, and the cloaks, and the handbags,
(23) The mirrors, and the fine linen, and the turbans, and the veils.
(24) And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet fragrance there shall be a stench; and instead of a sash, a rope; and instead of well-set hair, baldness; and instead of a rich robe, a girding of sackcloth; and a burning scar instead of beauty.
Hello “For this cause ought the woman to have authority on her head because of the angels.” (1Co 11:10)
do you suppose that the ‘authority’ spoken of here might be the laying on of hands as in the ordination service… Authority on her head because of the angels?
Perhaps the behaviour of women in church (which you’ve put in a very well-balanced way) might be better understood to include situations when women have indeed recieved authority on their head and are therefore allowed to exercise under that divine authority…
No, the authority is not ordination but clearly veiling of the head. Even when we ordain women that is not authority symbol before Angels but approval to serve the Church just as it is with men. The only problem is that we have many women of great virtue and exploits in the past but they did not have to be ordained into the Priesthood or Presbytery till recently especially with the counterculture new age movement. And these even minister without the veil of authority before Angels.
I’m not sure that a ‘veil’ would give authority before angels -I am certain that
angels must only obey God, and that authority must come from God… so a veil which a human simply decided to wear is not enough. Anyone could wear a veil, it is not the object, the piece of cloth itself, which bestows authority but only God.
However, since in our world it is not ‘a shame’ for women to be shorn, I think I shall stick to 1 Corinthians 11:6 And keep my hair short.
Its your choice. But know that the Apostle who obviously was sure of what he was writing was certain about the power of the veil when put on by the female believer. He was also positive that shorn female shame is a loss of this authority.
1Co 11:10 This is why a woman should have authority over her own head: because of the angels.
What we think or do today does not alter this revealed truth. But the choice is still yours.
Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:
You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Twitter account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Google+ account. ( Log Out / Change )
Connecting to %s
Notify me of new comments via email.
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
Join 4,417 other followers
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.